When it come to having a powerful day — lots of us jump to our morning routine.
I am 100% in support of having a powerful morning routine but we often overlook our evening routine!
Having an evening routine sets us up for a restful and restorative sleep and then a peaceful, productive and focused morning + day.
The most important thing when it comes to an evening routine is creating a space where you can wind down and bring your body into the parasympathetic state — aka the rest and relaxation place where the body can restore itself.
Here are the components that I incorporate into my evening routine.
- Power Down Your Electronics: We spend most of the day plugged in and connected to our devices — cellphones, ipads, computers, TVs… When we sleep, our body is in the parasympathetic state – so before bed, we need to set ourselves up for that wind down. Turn off your emails, texts and tings. Close your computer and either turn off your phone or put it on airplane mode.
- Ball Roll: If you do one of these tips – do this one! Rolling your body on Franklin Method balls really brings your body into the parasympathetic state which will help you to fall into nice restful sleep easily. You can roll nearly any part of your body! Your shoulders, feet, butt, back… This gentle movement helps your body release tension, slow down, and helps you breathe more deeply.
- Take A Bath: or warm shower then get into your favorite PJs
- Dim The Lights: Set up your mood lighting by either dimming your lights, turning lights off and fairy lights on, or lighting some candles.
- Eat Earlier: If you’re eating close to bedtime, your body will spend a lot of the night processing and digesting your food rather than doing the other metabolic processes that usually happen during the night. I do my best to eat a BIG breakfast & lunch and smaller dinner.
- Fill Up Your Glass: with water ;) Every night when I go to bed, I bring with me a big glass of sole to sip on before bed and first thing in the morning when I wake up.
- Cover Your Eyes: I use the arm of a sweater to cover my eyes or you could choose an eye mask — but darkness is really important for restful sleep!
What do you do to wind down? Leave me a comment below letting me know!